Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Can a man become a paralegal and succeed I saw 750 job listings nationwide for Paralegals on Monster?

Its funny how I call up paralegals and they tell me business is slow when I see so many job openings on monster.com. So should I be excited to atend college at College Of The Canyons and become a Latino male Paralegal.

Answer on Can a man become a paralegal and succeed I saw 750 job listings nationwide for Paralegals on Monster?

Your gender is irrelevant as to whether you will be successful as a paralegal but 750 jobs nationwide for a career field is not a lot of job openings nationwide. Further if you bother to read most of those job listings you will most likely find that the majority of them require at least a few years of prior experience. I just did a search on Monster limiting the number of job listings to those within 20 miles of California (where you are) for full time positions for candidates with less than 1 year of experience and it only produced 6 listings, of those 6 listings only 2 were actually for full time positions for candidates with less than 1 year of experience (so much for the search filters on Monster). Even nationwide a search for full time paralegal jobs on Monster for paralegals with less than 1 year of experience was 40.

The job market for paralegals is not great. I'm not saying that based on the Monster searches. Part of my job is interviewing and hiring corporate paralegals for my law firm. The legal services industry was slammed by the recession and there are still hundreds of unemployed or partially employed paralegals with more experience and better credentials than you. Before the recession we typically had between 4 and 6 full time paralegals in our corporate department but since the recession we've kept the number at 3 after layoffs were made. There are still many experienced paralegals with good credentials that are unemployed or partially employed.